Friday, August 24, 2007

Bertrand Russell

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important."

~ Bertrand Russell

Implicit in this quote are 3 things:
  • One should avoid having a nervous breakdown.

  • One should avoid the belief that one's work is terribly important.

  • One can (help to) avoid having a nervous breakdown if one rejects the belief that one's work is terribly important.

How can the first be argued against? But, some work really is terribly important necessitating an alternate treatment for the approaching nervous breakdown.

Implicit in my response is the belief that my work (in response and analysis) is terribly important. Rather, I merely indulge "the little grey cells" in a little exercise.

Implicit in my explanation is the belief that perception of my work is terribly important. This is, in fact, the case; I anticipate the approaching nervous breakdown to arrive at any moment.

No comments: